Mayor of Bolton: 1869-71 (Conservative)
Born: Bickerstaffe, Lancashire 5 August 1812
Died: Brooklyn, Green Lane, Great Lever, Bolton 13 September 1890
Master iron manufacturer - founded Atlas Forge in Bolton 1866.
Son of Richard Walmsley, a farmer and blacksmith, he arrived in Bolton in 1827. He began his business career as an ironmonger in Deansgate and later Oxford Street. In 1858 the ironmongery and bellhanging business was transferred to his brother, Richard Walmsley and brother in law, James Fisher.
He was also partner in Harwood & Walmsley of Wood Side Mill, Great Lever with John Harwood, Mayor of Bolton 1860-61. The partnership was dissolved in October 1871.
Represented Bradford Ward 1867-73. Alderman for East Ward 1873-74 and for Bradford Ward 1874-88.
As Mayor he opened Trinity Street Station on 8 May 1871, attended the consecration of St Peter's Parish Church on 29 June 1871 and opened the Wholesale Market, Great Moor Street on 27 October 1871 .
He almost resigned from Council in 1873 over the "Smoke Nuisance" debate.
In 1873 at a public meeting he seconded a motion proposed by Alderman William Walter Cannon for the repeal of Income Tax. He objected to the "prying into the affairs of trades people" which he calculated to "destroy the self-reliance, self-esteem and self-confidence to the success of businessmen."
He presided over the inauguration of Bradford Ward Conservative Association and the opening of the Club premises in 1870.
In 1870 he helped to establish a Mutual Insurance Association for local cotton and woollen factories.
He became President of the Tradesman Protection Society 1871. In his inaugural address he urged members to raise the standards of business ethics - there should be no more sanding of sugar, no more alum and whiting in bread etc.
Member of the management of the British Iron Trade Association.
In 1872 he gave evidence before a Committee of the House of Commons on the question of railway amalgamation.
He was an Anglican and attended Bolton Parish Church.
His wife, Sophia, was Mayoress.
He lived at Brooklyn, Green Lane, Great Lever which was designed for him by the Bolton architect George Woodhouse.