Chairman of Farnworth Urban District Council: 1936-38 (Liberal)
Born: c. 1878 Lithuania
Died: Jewish Victoria Memorial Hospital Manchester 31 March 1940
Came to England aged 21 with the intention of completing his religious studies to become a Rabbi. Unfortunately, he was unable to do this and began work at a furniture shop in Bolton, his first duties being to undertake a canvass of Farnworth. After working there and for other firms he opened business premises in Victoria Square, Bolton and in 1911 established an outfitting business in Market Street, Farnworth. It was a success and in 1924 he rebuilt the premises, replacing it with a modern store symbolic of his enterprise and progressive outlook.
In 1922 he became a member of the Farnworth Liberal Association.
Represented South East Ward from 1925.
During his Chairmanship he read the proclamation of King George VI's accession and on behalf of the Council was a signatory of the petition to the King for the granting for a Charter of Incorporation. He was one of the champions of incorporation.
He attended a Royal garden party at Buckingham Palace and planted one of the trees placed in the park by elementary school children to mark the Coronation of the King and Queen.
He was Chairman of the Maternity and Child Welfare Committee from 1933, being keenly interested in its work and gave his support to the promotion of the School Clinic and Health Centre, Albert Road which he opened in January 1938.
He was a Governor of Farnworth Grammar School and one of the Council's representatives on the Public Assistance Committee.
He was elected Lancashire County Councillor for Eastern Division of Farnworth in 1937 and appointed a Magistrate in July 1939.
He was Treasurer to the Farnworth Division Liberal Association and a founder member of Farnworth Rotary Club, of which he was a Vice-President.
He was the donor of one of the trophies of the Farnworth Sunday School Sports Football League and each year gave a gold medal for the first prize in the Council's gardens competition.
He was considered to be an accomplished Hebrew scholar and worked to further the Zionist cause in Palestine. He visited that country in 1934 and lectured locally on the Jewish National Home in Palestine and other subjects.
He was a member of the Board of Deputies of British Jews for 20 years, was a member of the Manchester Zionist Central Committee and was Educational Officer for the Higher Broughton Synagogue, of which he was a member and regular worshipper.
In 1937 he was a member of an influential deputation of Jews from Manchester which attended a non-party meeting of MPs at the House of Commons and presented a case against the partition of Palestine.
He was one of six members of the Council with the longest record of service who were elected Aldermen when the Borough Council was formed in 1939.
On his death Alderman Rev John Wilcockson said:
"As a member of Council he was always interested in the things which made for uplift. He did everything within his means to help Farnworth forward. He was a very generous man who bestowed a lot of private charity."