Chairman of Kearsley Urban District Council: 1936-37
Born: Winsford Cheshire 1872
Died: 27 March 1941
He started work for the L & NW Railway at Crewe in 1887 and 18 years later was transferred to the relief staff, serving between Crewe and Liverpool. He worked in the clerical, traffic and signalling departments and in 1913 he was relief traffic controller at Warrington. Later appointments included assistant district signalman's inspector and district controller at Liverpool.
He finally he came to Bolton as district traffic inspector in 1925, but was soon appointed district signalmen's inspector with responsibility for 22 stations, 60 signal boxes, and 300 employees. During his time with the L & NW Railway he had the honour of being in charge of the pilot engine travelling in front of the Royal train, between Crewe, Liverpool and the North. He retired in 1932.
He was elected to the Council in 1932 and served for 6 years.
During his year as Chairman the opening ceremony for the extensions to the Town Hall and the new Council chamber took place.
He was Chairman of the Housing and Town Planning Committees
Member of the Farnworth and District Care Committee for Consumptives, the East Lancashire Playing Fields Association, Guardians Committee, the Local Elementary Education Sub-Committee No 22 and the South East Lancashire (Local Authorities) Superannuation Joint Committee.
He was a manager of Kearsley West and Prestolee Council Schools.
Committee member of Kearsley Cricket Club.
Secretary of the Farnworth and Kearsley Crippled Children's Outing Fund.
Methodist- He was a member of the Ellesmere Street Independent Methodist Church, Farnworth.