Mayor of Bolton: 1955-56 (Conservative)
Born: Great Lever, Bolton c. 1895
Died: Deane, Bolton 31 May 1978
Educated: St Mark's School, Bolton; Bolton Municipal Secondary School; Magdelene College, Oxford
Accountant for P & J Kevan, Acresfield, Bolton.
Left school at 14 and worked as an office boy at Winder & Holden Solicitors.
He volunteered for service in the Seaforth Highlanders at First World War in 1915 but was unfit for combative service and transferred to the Army Ordnance Corps. He became Chief Clerk at Army Headquarters and later at Didcot Ordnance Depot. He was twice mentioned in dispatches.
He joined the Civil Defence Corps in Second World War and was specially commended, serving as Senior Operations Officer in the Report and Control Centre.
Represented Deane-cum-Lostock Ward from 1941. Alderman 1955.
Magistrate 1947 until retiring aged 75.
Leader of the Conservative Group. Leader of Bolton Town Council 1966-67.
Vice Chair of the Financial Committee. Member of Health Executive Council at Bolton Royal Infirmary and Townleys. Devoted his time as a member of the Hospital Sub-committee to the modernisation of Townleys Hospital.
He served on five other Council Committees and (wrongly) predicted that Mayors would eventually live at the Town Hall as their duties increased.
As Mayor he accepted the gift of the Mayoral Jewel on behalf of the Borough from the Westhoughton manufacturing chemist James William Wigglesworth.
Opened the Bolton Offices of the NW Electricity Board in July 1955 and the Indoor Cricket School, Clarendon Street.
Involved in town centre redevelopment - particularly the Arndale Centre.
Invited by the Home Office to assist in the preparation of a booklet on the Management of Children's Homes when the Children's Act was put onto the Statute Book.
He was awarded an OBE in January 1969 and was made a Freeman of the County Borough of Bolton on 8 October 1969.
President of Deane Conservative Club.
Member of Board of Eden Orphanage Foundation for 37 years and the Board of educational charity, Henry Mather's Foundation, for 31 years.
British Legion Auditor.
School manager of Lostock Schools.
Anglican - he was a choirboy and later Warden and Sidesman at St Mark's Church. School Manager of St Mark's, taking over from his father. Deanery Representative on Manchester Diocesan Board of Finance and Administrative Secretary of Bolton Deanery.
His wife, Elsie, was Mayoress.