Thomas Parry Dunning
Mayor of Bolton: 1951-52 (Conservative)
Born: Wigan Road, Bolton 18 May 1893
Died: Bolton 15 November 1973
Educated: Holy Trinity Church School
Son of James Albert Dunning, an engineer and Millwright.
He was one of the first Boy Scouts in Bolton.
He became a dentist at 21, practising in Deane and Daubhill. He had a surgery at Deane Church Lane in 1914, moving later to surgeries in Derby Street and Wigan Road.
Represented Derby Ward from 1930 and Rumworth Ward from 1934.
Chairman of the Cleansing Committee. Appointed Magistrate in 1943. Alderman from 1948.
Helped the Cleansing Department switch from horse drawn to motor transport and took a leading part in the elimination of ash pits and the introduction of a modern dustbin service.
Worked for a Regional Sewerage Disposal Scheme and fought for a Refuse Disposal Incinerator which finally opened in 1971.
His motto as Mayor was "Don't worry. It may never happen!"
Opened Bolton Welfare Committee's Hostel "Red Cot" on 6 November 1951.
Opened Bolton and District Hospital Saturday HQ on Bradshawgate.
Opened Egerton Lodge Old People's Hostel on 21 December 1951.
He was Mayor when King George VI died and Elizabeth II acceded to the Throne in February 1952. He read the Royal Proclamation in Bolton on 8 February 1952.
He was made the last Freeman of the County Borough of Bolton on 5 June 1973 alongside Charles Henry Lucas and was also created Honorary Alderman. Referring to his diminutive stature the then Mayor, Tom Connor, called him "a small man with a great heart and spirit."
A member of Derby Ward Conservative Club from 1913, he was President and Chairman for 17 years. An extension to the Club premises was named The Tom Dunning Room in November 1971.
President of the Conservative Sports Association.
Director of Beaumont Bowling Club.
First Chairman of Bolton Motor Cycle Club and described as a "'fine racing motorcyclist."
His wife, Doris, was Mayoress.