Chairman of Blackrod Urban District Council: 1943-44, 1950-51, 1956-57, 1962-63 (Labour)
Clerk in the boiler shop at Horwich Loco Works. Former Librarian at the Scot Lane branch of the County Library.
In 1950 he was the first Chairman of Blackrod UDC to wear the new Chain of Office.
Member of the Workable Area Committee on Rodent Control.
Member of the Board of Governors of Blackrod County Secondary School and Manager of Scot Lane School.
Treasurer of Blackrod Labour Party.
Trustee of the Homeward Bound Lodge of the Bolton Independent Order of Oddfellows.
Described by his predecessor, Joseph Jolley, as "unspectacular but of unswerving loyalty to the village".
Chairman during the Second World War Wings for Victory appeal. He described the generous efforts of the Blackrod people and the presentation of the "Wings" plaque as outstanding events that would live long in his memory.